Kelsey Martin is our Chief Operating Officer for Chatterkick. She makes sure the business runs smoothly and efficiently, from orientation for new employees to scavenger hunts spread across downtown Sioux City. And – she does it all to the beat of the hip hop that’s blasting in her headphones. Here are 10 questions that dive deep into all things Kelsey.
1. What’s something you’ve been meaning to try but just haven’t gotten around to it?
More Collective Effervescence!! I've been more dedicated to saying yes to these experiences over this past year, but I'm putting more of a focus on creating collective effervescent moments in my life as a whole. Experiencing temporal unity through concerts (yes, even alone - those have been my favorite so far), cultural bridging opportunities, more family time, any exciting moments that are going to add more value and bravery to my life.
2. What’s a TV show you’d like to be on?
My TV time is not spent on the typical “This Is Us” melodrama, so I’m a little reluctant to answer this question. The only TV show’s that I’ve religiously watched are trashy reality tv (Love & Hip Hop Atlanta, Basketball Wives, MTVs The Challenge, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, etc.) or crime shows (Orange is the New Black, any crime docu-series > The Jinx). I also want to shout out these two amazing shows that you should put on your watch list: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel & The Handmaid's Tale. I would love to think I could be a character on one of those reality shows, but I’d be better off having some episode features advising the Kardashians on how use paid social media or a social strategy in general to drive some retention and acquisition.
3. What's your first memory of social media?
I remember my friends telling me to get on Facebook for months before I joined. I joined because I wanted somewhere to post my pictures from some school event. I was utterly clueless on what the big deal was! How times have changed.
4. What is your favorite beverage?
Can I be super basic and say that I really dig water? I’m not trying to hide anything here, I’ve been known to throw back a Red Bull.
5. What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?
A good Q&A on social media, digital advertising, Facebook Ads, content, etc. Q&As and panels are my favorite. I would never do an off-the cuff 40 minute presentation without at least an hour of prep/thought process ahead of time. Public speaking absolutely freaks me out, but I’ve been doing more and more over my years at Chatterkick.
6. What are three career lessons you’ve learned thus far?
1. Learn the working you. Work ethic is important; curiosity, productivity and efficiency are critical. Knowing that my fuel is on full blast in the evenings is awesome, but late night is not always the ideal time for communication. (It’s currently 2am as I type this out right now).
2. High payoff activities and high value added to the business can propel you through your career. If you can problem-solve like a business owner, pivot between the weeds and big picture, and figure out how to add value to the organization, your opportunities are endless.
3. Teamwork makes the dream work, but comes with a lot of self-sacrifices. Management, Leadership and Friendship are three very separate, very complex things. Navigating these waters is something that I get wrong on a daily basis but also have the most opportunity to grow in.
7. What are 3 words to describe yourself?
Innovative, Passionate, Dedicated
8. If you could have dinner with anyone – dead or alive, who would it be?
Can this be more of a three-day luncheon conference of Power Women? Is this a thing already minus the deceased? Where can I get tickets.
Oprah, Maya Angelou, Brené Brown, Michelle Obama, Ellen, Kim K, Sally Ride, Jane Fonda, Malala, Ashley Graham, Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, Serena Williams, Sheryl Sandburg, Princess Diana, Hillary Clinton, RGB, Amelia Earhart, Susan B Anthony... And then each of them could bring a +1 just so we could extend the dynamics a bit and they can bring someone they’re inspired by.
9. If you could have a super power, what would it be?
I have no clue! Something with time, it’s the most valuable asset in the world. Or ... being a genie and granting people’s wishes would be fun, is that a super power? Genie in Aladdin wasn’t too amped about, but I don't know, it could be pretty invigorating, right?!
Does your car have a name?
Yes. It’s “Chill Gundy.” I have a burgundy Lincoln, so bur = chill... like cold. burr. Get it? and then the gundy part isn’t really that clever. But it’s better than Clarence.